Moving to Basel, Switzerland is going to be an exciting adventure for you, but it will also pose some challenges. If you are single in Basel, one of those challenges is meeting someone special. If you want to start a relationship, either casual or serious, you’re going to have to put yourself out there.
You can do this the traditional way, by going out and talking to people, taking part in social or sports clubs and activities, or hanging out at places where you might meet interesting potential partners. Alternatively, you might go the internet route, where there are different websites available (some options discussed below) that can put you in contact with a person with similar attitudes, tastes and ideas. To maximize your chances of meeting the right person in Basel, you should try both the face-to-face approach and internet dating.
Basel is an excellent place for singles for several reasons:
- The city is large enough that there is always something interesting going on. You don’t always have to see the same people time and time again. Go to different places and you’ll meet different people
- The city is small enough, that if you meet someone interesting, and want to run into them again, you probably will. Many people are territorial, frequenting their same favorite places repeatedly. Spend enough time at the place you met someone, you’ll be likely to run into them again.
- As an expat, you’ll probably have the advantage of the ‘foreigner effect’. You’ll likely have a different background, traditions, and customs than many of the people you meet when dating. This gives you something to talk about when you meet someone, and gives you an appealing, exotic quality.
- There are always lots of new and interesting people moving to Basel, Switzerland on a regular basis, so you have a steady stream of potential new dating options.
Meeting Someone in Basel, Switzerland: The traditional way
Depending on what your interests are, there are a wealth of bars, restaurants and clubs in Basel, where you can meet someone. I’m not going to give you a list of places to go, as I don’t know what you like to do, but there are a few things you can do to optimize your chances of meeting someone:
- Whatever you look like, make sure you’ve made the most of what you have, and look your best.
- Be sure your personal hygiene is up to snuff. Make sure to shower and if you’re using perfume or cologne, don’t use too much!
- Be outgoing, friendly, and above all confident.
- Go to events that encourage personal interaction, especially with strangers. Going to the movies is an unlikely place to find someone new to talk to!
- It’s a good idea to showcase your special skills if you have any. If you’re a great actor, join a theater group. If you’re a fantastic singer, go to a karaoke night or join a choir.
There is also your workplace to meet potential partners, but be careful here! Dating someone you work with, especially if you see them on a day-to-day basis, can be a strain on the relationship as well as being a very uncomfortable situation, if things go sour!
Meeting Someone in Basel, Switzerland: Online Dating
As people’s lifestyles become increasingly hectic, online dating makes more and more sense, and has lost any stigma associated with it over the last decade. I’m sure most of us know at least one couple who have met online. Whether or not you think dating online is for you, it’s like online shopping. It doesn’t cost you anything to sign up and ‘shop’ for a partner.
If you plan to go the online route, there are several options available in Basel, depending mainly upon what languages you speak, and what you want out of your relationship. There is no charge to do the initial registration and see if you can make a connection, so its best to apply to register with as many as you want to for free and then pick one or two that you might want to get a full membership to, depending on the interfaces, the people and connections you find, and the overall feeling you get from the sites…
Parship is the best online dating site for English-speaking expats living in Basel, in my opinion. The site has a large number of members and sign-up is free; that way you get to look around before you decide to go any further. You need to complete a personality test, which really helps to find compatible partners and to weed out the duds. Parship uses algorithms to help you, as a unique person, find meaningful relationships with others from all walks of life, based on key compatibility factors.
ElitePartner: Are you an educated, professional looking for a long-term relationship, that would like to meet others in the same situation? Then you really need ElitePartner. The majority of ElitePartners members are university-educated, with an open and passionate approach to life. The ElitePartner algorithms are designed to find long-term compatibility, and according to user surveys, over 40% of ElitePartner members with a premium membership will find a life partner through the site! The initial registration is free, and then you can decide later if you want to upgrade to a premium membership.
Swissfriends is another great site for English-speaking expats living in Basel, in my opinion. The site is available in English, and has a large number of members. Sign-up is free, that way you get to look around before you decide to go any further. However, you need to be in Switzerland or one of the neighboring countries in order to access the site.
Looking for a same-sex relationship? If you’re part the gay and lesbian community and are interested in finding a same-sex relationship, there are specialized websites that focus on finding you the perfect partner. One of these is gayParship, an online dating website that sports a whopping 38% success rate of premium members finding the right partner for them!
I don’t want a relationship, just a fling!: The sites listed above are for people who are looking for a relationship that will (hopefully) be long-term. What if you’re not ready for that kind of commitment? Perhaps the idea of one sexual partner bores you, or you’re in a difficult part of your life and don’t want anything too serious. Or maybe you just don’t have the time for a committed relationship. There are also online dating websites for both women and men looking for something more casual. Try the Secret.ch website if you want find a partner a casual encounter. With 850,000 members looking for uncomplicated dates and erotic encounters, you stand a pretty good chance of finding someone that suits your needs. The site prides itself on being safe and anonymous; its not available in English, but translates well in most web-browsers.
There are other dating sites that operate in Basel, Switzerland or across Europe (remember France and Germany are just a short way off), so be sure to look around to find something that works for your particular tastes.
Regarding online dating, it’s important to be truthful in your profile, otherwise any connections you make are very likely to fail. Here are some things to keep in mind when dating online:
- Post an accurate (but flattering), recent photograph. You don’t want anyone to be disappointed when seeing you in person
- Leave some mystery. The most successful online daters are those who keep their profiles small, but impactful
- Don’t make yourself out to be something you’re not. If you’re not funny, don’t say you are. If you don’t like the outdoors, don’t say you do. You get the point!
Once you do find someone who tickles your fancy, there are lots of great places to go to in Basel and things to do. But that’s a post for another day! Good luck finding someone in special to share your life in Basel!
If you have a good story or advice on meeting someone in Basel, tell us in the comment box below!
Are you in Zurich? Then try the Single in Zurich website!