I hope you’re enjoying the site so far and have found some of the information handy! I’ve been getting a lot of emails and questions asking more specific questions. I was talking to a friend and he mentioned that people aren’t necessarily online all the time, and that I should create something that people can use both when they’re connected or offline.
After some thought and research, I decided that I could do this best using an e-book format. So I wrote a book all about moving to Basel! I researched for ages, wrote a lot of new material, reorganized the articles already on the site and created an information packed document to be a comprehensive, stand-alone resource that you can own and use both online and offline.
The Moving to Basel eBook has brand new chapters not available on the Life in Basel website:
Getting Around Basel
- Riding Your Bicycle in Basel – Not as simple as it sounds and you can get fined and your car license revoked if you do it wrong!!
- Driving in Basel – What you need to do to drive in Basel and where you can find drivers training..
- Being a Pedestrian in Basel – It sounds simple but in Basel there are rules!
Day-to-Day Living in Basel
- Grocery Shopping in Basel – Shops, loyalty cards and for those to busy to shop, grocery delivery services in Basel!
- Shopping in Basel and Across the Border – Shopping centers and how to get your taxes back if you shop in Germany or France!
- Practicing your Religion in Basel – Places of worship and religious organizations in the city for all faiths.
Culture in Basel
- Museums in Basel – Basel has more museums than you can imagine; this is a guide to most of the local ones…
- Live Music in Basel – There are so many different live music venues in Basel, you need help to find what you like!
- Theater and Dance Performances in Basel – Where can you see plays, musicals and other performances? Loads of places…
Fun in Basel
- Dining out in Basel – An extensive guide to over 45 Basel restaurants for anything you’re in the mood for, whether its a casual meal or something really special…
- Drinks in Basel – Feeling thirsty? The places in Basel with the best cocktails, wines and beers!
- Cool Things to do in Basel – In the spring, summer, fall and winter…
Sports in Basel
- Playing Sports in Basel – Gyms, sports clubs and equipment for the athletic types
- Watching Sports in Basel – Where to see live or televised sporting events in the city
Pets in Basel
- Bringing your Pets to Basel – What you need to know about vaccinations, microchips and registration if you plan to bring a pet…
- Flying your Animals to Basel – Transport regulations for cages and shipping your animals.
- Owning a Dog in Basel – Owning a dog in Basel might be more complicated than in your home country! This is what you need to know!
Bad things in Basel
- Crime in Basel – Basel isn’t a perfect place. You need to be careful of crimes and might want to avoid some places…
- Drugs in Basel – Basel has it’s share of junkies, and drug users; this will tell you about how to navigate the city safely.
- Other Negative Aspects of Basel – Discrimination, prostitution, incessant construction are all discussed in this section.
Work and School
- Companies in Basel and the surrounding area – Links to company websites in the banking, pharma, medical, fashion and other industries.
- Paycheck Deductions – Think you know your monthly salary? See where your money goes to, and what this is for…
- Going to University in Basel – Basel has an excellent university. This section gives an overview of the different programs available.
- Masters and Doctoral Degrees at UniBasel – Looking for an advanced degree? This is what Basel has to offer!
Each new topic is covered in as much detail as on the website. I’ve also included a short English to Swiss German phrase book to help get you started on you Swiss-German!
I really want you to try the book, so to encourage you, I’m offering a 60-day money back guarantee! Buy it, try it, and if you’re not entirely satisfied, I’ll refund your money. Just like that. The book is only 11.99 USD to start with so your risk is minimal.
It’s also got all the content from the website, so you can refer to it, even when you don’t have access to the internet. Keep a copy on your tablet or smartphone so you have it at your fingertips whenever you need it.
- Getting a Job in Basel
- Registering with the Canton
- Health Insurance
- Getting Sick in Basel
- Finding an Apartment in Basel
- Furnishing your Basel Apartment
- Setting up internet, TV and telephone
- Sending your Children to School in Basel
- Using the Trams in Basel
- Setting up a Bank Account
- Taxes in Basel
- Garbage and Recycling in Basel
- Keeping in Touch with Home
- Being Single in Basel
- Going to the Movies in Basel
For those of you who have been enjoying the Life in Basel site, I hope the website has been helpful for you! Please try the eBook; your purchase will also help to support further new posts on the site, in the future. I’ll also put you on my list for when I update the book and it’s links in future editions, so you’re always up to date! And if you don’t think it’s worth it, you can return it for a full refund.
For those of you who have just stumbled across this page while trying to get their questions on Moving to Basel answered, surf around the site and see if you like the information provided on the website, and the format its in. If you think its useful and informative, then try the book. I think you’ll be pleased! If you buy it and don’t like it, I’ll refund your money. The alternative is to spend hours and hours searching for the info across the web, and try to sort out what is correct! Is 11.99 USD worth saving many, many hours of frustration?
Thank you for all your support! If you have questions, or ideas for future posts, contact me at admin(at)lifeinbasel.com!
Enjoy your life in Basel!